Seeking a Path Forward
The Life of Luigi Giussani
The recently published biography of Luigi Giussani, an influential Italian priest, educator, and founder of Communion and Liberation, offers Americans a genuine example of how to seek a path forward from a turbulent present.
Examining Giussani’s response to the questions provoked by the cultural upheaval of the late-1960s, we can draw inspiration to respond authentically to the similar challenges Christians face today.
About the Book
In The Life of Luigi Giussani, Alberto Savorana, who spent an important part of his life working and studying with Giussani, draws on many unpublished documents to recount who the priest was and how he lived. Savorana demonstrates that the circumstances Giussani experienced and the people he encountered played a crucial role in defining his vocation. Illuminating details are shared about Giussani’s parents, professors, and friends in the seminary, the things he read, his priesthood, his experience teaching, misunderstandings and moments of recognition, and illness. In addition to providing the first chronological reconstruction of the life of the founder of Communion and Liberation, The Life of Luigi Giussani provides a detailed account of his legacy and what his life’s work meant to individual people and the Church.
The Life of Luigi Giussani
"This biography does not leave us as we were before we started reading it; it probes us and is able to transform us." Cardinal Marc Quellet - Prefect of the Congregation for Bishops
"This is a book worth reading; not one page of it is boring. An illuminating life.
Joseph H.H. Weiler - Joseph Strauss Professor of Law, New York University
Book Tour 2019
Seeking a Path Forward
From March 9 to March 19, across the United States and Canada, several noted journalists, educators and clerics will join Alberto Savorana, a close collaborator of Luigi Giussani and author of his definitive biography, for ten roundtables to share their insights into the relevance of Giussani’s life experience to today’s context.
New York - March 9th, 2019 - The Sheen Center
Washington - March 10, 2019 - Georgetown University
Miami - March 11, 2019 - St. John Vianney College Seminary
Los Angeles - March 12, 2019 - Little Tokyo LA
Denver - March 13, 2019 - University of Denver, Sturm Hall Davis Auditorium
Omaha - March 14 - Archdiocesan Retreat and Conference Center
Minneapolis - March 16, 2019 - University of St. Thomas
Evansville - March 17, 2019 - University of St. Thomas
Chicago - March 18, 2019 - St. Vincent Ferrer Parish
Montreal - March 19, 2019 - Loyola High School Auditorium
For more detailed information see below.
North America Event Dates
- Tue, Mar 19Loyola High School AuditoriumMar 19, 2019, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PMLoyola High School Auditorium, 2477 Rue West Broadway, Montréal, QC H4B 2A4, CanadaJoin us for a discussion on these questions as raised in The Life of Luigi Giussani, the new biography of the Italian priest and educator, that can serve as a narrative for American Christians providing a path forward amidst current challenges.
- Mon, Mar 18St. Vincent Ferrer Parish HallMar 18, 2019, 7:30 PM – 9:30 PMSt. Vincent Ferrer Parish Hall, 1530 Jackson Ave, River Forest, IL 60305, USAJoin us for a discussion on these questions as raised in The Life of Luigi Giussani, the new biography of the Italian priest and educator, that can serve as a narrative for American Christians providing a path forward amidst current challenges.
- Sun, Mar 17Reitz Memorial High School AuditoriumMar 17, 2019, 5:00 PM – 7:00 PMReitz Memorial High School Auditorium, 1500 Lincoln Ave, Evansville, IN 47714, USAJoin us for a discussion on these questions as raised in The Life of Luigi Giussani, the new biography of the Italian priest and educator, that can serve as a narrative for American Christians providing a path forward amidst current challenges.
- Sat, Mar 16University of St. Thomas OEC AuditoriumMar 16, 2019, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PMUniversity of St. Thomas OEC Auditorium, 2115 Summit Ave, St Paul, MN 55105, USA
- Thu, Mar 14Archdiocesan Conference CenterMar 14, 2019, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PMArchdiocesan Conference Center, 3330 N 60th St, Omaha, NE 68104, USA
- Wed, Mar 13University of Denver, Sturm Hall DavisMar 13, 2019, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PMUniversity of Denver, Sturm Hall Davis, 248 E Asbury Ave, Denver, CO 80210, USA
- Tue, Mar 12Seeking a Path ForwardMar 12, 2019, 7:30 PM – 9:30 PMSeeking a Path Forward, 360 E 2nd St, Suite 400 - Los Angeles, CA 90012, USA
- Mon, Mar 11St. John Vianney College SeminaryMar 11, 2019, 7:00 PM – 10:00 PMSt. John Vianney College Seminary , 2900 SW 87th Ave, Miami, FL 33165, USA
- Sun, Mar 10Georgetown University Hotel ConferenceMar 10, 2019, 3:00 PM – 5:00 PMGeorgetown University Hotel Conference, Reservoir Rd NW, Washington, DC 20007, USA
- Sat, Mar 09The Sheen Center for Thought & CultureMar 09, 2019, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PMThe Sheen Center for Thought & Culture, 18 Bleecker St, New York, NY 10012, USA
Life of Luigi Giussani
Faith is Reasonable
The goal of this method is “to show how faith can be relevant to life’s needs; to show that faith is rational, reasonable.”
A Point of No Return
Christians are one body. They are united. A Christian lives faith, and faith judges life. It judges everything: eating, drinking, waking, sleeping, living, and dying.
What is CL
Communion and Liberation
Communion and Liberation (CL) is a companionship inspired by the thought and experience of Luigi Giussani. It is a unique friendship eager to share in all aspects and needs of life. The name CL describes this companionship’s presence in the world, an experience of faith in God lived in communion, which is the person’s true liberation.
CL communities form spontaneously at school, in the workplace, and the neighborhood. No formal registration is necessary. Anyone is welcome to join. Currently, CL is present in about ninety countries on nearly every continent, and in over forty US states.touch to order your copy today and let me know what you think.
"Fr Giussani grew up in a home—as he himself said—poor as far as bread was concerned, but rich with music, and thus from the start he was touched, or better, wounded, by the desire for beauty. He was not satisfied with any beauty whatever, a banal beauty, he was looking rather for Beauty itself, infinite Beauty"
Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger
Author - Journalist
Alberto Savorana was born in Forlì, Italy, in 1959. He earned a degree in History and Philosophy at the University of Bologna. He and his wife have three children. He has worked as a professional journalist since 1987, including work for RAI-USA in New York. In 2013 he published Vita di don Giussani with Rizzoli. Spanish, Portuguese and English translations have also been produced. Currently, he is the director of the CL Public Relations and Press Office and is responsible for the editorial activities of the Movement.